Eimer Crombie lists the top tips and tricks to using Slack, one of the most popular work apps in the world
How to follow a thread on a topic that interests you
- Hover over a message or file you’d like to follow.
- Click the More actions icon.
- Select Follow thread from the menu to receive notifications for all new replies so you don’t miss out on any information.
Respond to a thread
- Find the thread you want to reply to.
- Select “Reply to Thread”, a thread will appear in a new pane to the right of the main chat. Add your message, and press Enter.
To help you prioritise your most important work, you can sort your channels, direct messages (DMs), and apps into custom sections within your sidebar. This allows you to organise your conversations in ways that are tailored to you — whether they’re sorted by projects, teams, or the type of work you’re doing.
Starred channels: Organise your favourite channels in Slack
To help you keep track of important conversations, you can star a channel or direct message (DM). When you do this, the conversation will be moved to the Starred section in your sidebar.
Star your channels
- Open the channel or direct message you’d like to star.
- Click the star icon beside the channel or member name(s).
Create a New Section
- Hover the Channels header in the left sidebar and click the three dots icon.
- Select Create new section.
- Type the name of your custom section (select one of the suggestions).
- Click Create.
You can drag sections so that your Starred and New Sections are sitting above other sections.
Your Slack profile & preferences
Click on your name under Ireland Together on the top left. You can:
- Add first name, surname, and picture (or Avatar) as we now have over 300 members.
- Update your Status.
- Update Notifications settings by clicking on Preferences just below your status. My keywords under Notifications is helpful to be notified if another Member posts content with a topic that interests you. For example, “coach” or “mentor”.
- View Analytics under Tools to view how Slack is being used by all Members.
Pinned and Shared Items
View pinned and shared items by clicking on a channel and then click details in the top right.
Make a call
- Open a direct message.
- Click thephone icon in the top right corner.
- Your call will start right away, and the member you’re calling will receive a pop-up notification.
Create a poll
An easy way to conduct a poll is by using emoji reactions.
According to Ireland Together’s members, communication was listed as one of the main challenges in Irish business today. An effective team must have strong communication skills and Slack is a tool that can help you thrive. Interacting with your team is key for engagement, motivation and the workflow.